We ask all patients and visitors to refrain from using any products containing fragrance or scents on the days of your visit to our clinic. We request that you either use unscented products that day or allow 24 hours for any fragrance or scents to dissipate before visiting the clinic. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Hair styling products
- Lotion/hand lotion
- Perfume/cologne/after shave
- Certain heavily scented deodorants
- Cigarette or other smoke on clothing
A fragrancy-free and smoke-free policy is recommended by the American Lung Association and is particularly important for a pediatric clinic. We care for many children with a variety of diseases triggered by strong scents, including asthma, allergies, migraines, and sinus disease, and want to assure these children the best possible indoor air quality while they are receiving medical care here.
What products can I use?
Fortunately, many fragrance-free products are readily available. Here are some common options which can be found in local stores or online, but there are many others, too. Note that these brands may also offer scented varieties, so be sure you are purchasing the unscented option:
- Shampoo and Conditioner: Desert Essence, Jāsön, and Earth Science all make FRAGRANCE-FREE versions of their shampoo and conditioner.
- Hair products: multiple available at http://www.nonscents.net/, http://www.refreshinglyfree.com/Online-Catalog/Styling-Products, and many available on Amazon if you search for fragrance free hair gel/spray/etc.
- Lotion: Vanicream, CeraVe, Everyday Shea Fragrance-free, coconut oil, Eucerin Calming Daily moisturizing cream.
- Soap: Everyday Shea and Whole Foods 365 have foaming fragrance-free hand soaps. For bath, Tom's of Maine has an unscented bar of soap with aloe for sensitive skin. There are also many lines of hypoallergenic cleansers and bar soaps for sensitive skin such as CeraVe's "Hydrating Cleanser", Cetaphil's "RestoraDerm Skin Restoring Body Wash", or Exederm's "Eczema Wash/Body Wash" or "Baby Eczema Wash/Cleansing Baby Bath".
- Laundry and dish-washing detergents: Ecover ZERO products (hypoallergenic, fragrance-free), Seventh Generation "Free and Clear" variety, Biokleen "Free and Clear”, Tide “Free and Clear"
These are just a few common options. For a guide to selecting other environmentally safe products, here is a useful website: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
Thank you for your cooperation!